Childhood is a crucial stage in our life. It is the stage where parents should take proper care of the health of their children. For proper health, children need adequate nutrition in their bodies. Again, adequate nutrition comes from the right kind of food, which you provide to the children. It will be great to know some of the facts about children’s nutrition. It can also help you to keep a check on your child’s diet in the future.
2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines For Americans
According to 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines For Americans, children of 2 years or older follow the given eating pattern:
- Whole grains
- Protein foods
- Fat-free products
- Low-fat dairy products
- Variety of fruits and vegetables
Moreover, the guidelines also instruct to restrict sugar and solid fat intake. But, most of the people do not follow the above instructions and end up eating unhealthy food.
Benefits Of Healthy Eating
To know more facts about children’s nutrition, we can talk about the benefits of healthy eating. Following a healthy eating habit can help you to consume all the important nutrients from food properly, increase your strength, and maintain your body weight. Apart from this, this will also help you to protect your body from many unhealthy conditions like:
- Deficiency of Iron
- Protein deficiency
- Heart disease
- High or low blood pressure
Tips For Healthy Eating
Facts about children’s nutrition also include tips on how to eat healthily. Some of the tips are:
- You can eat fresh fruits. You can even consume them in the canned or frozen form.
- Raw or cooked vegetables are appropriate. Apart from this, you can also go for canned, frozen, or mashed vegetables.
- You can go for healthy grain products such as pasta, cereals, oatmeal, bread, etc.
- One can get maximum calcium from dairy products. Dairy products include milk, cheese, butter, etc.
- Finally, you can choose to eat protein-rich foods such as poultry, beans, peas, meat, etc.
Children’s Nutrition: Diet And Academic Performance
- You can also know the facts about children’s nutrition from the school itself.
- Proper and healthy food helps students to improve their concentration power, memory, and interest in doing any work or studying. It helps to lower the rate of absenteeism in schools.
- Proper hydration and food intake also help to increase the cognitive function of students.
Children’s Nutrition: Eating Behaviors Of Young People
- It is evident that between 2001-2010, there was a decrease in the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among adolescents and children.
- Also, between 2003-2010, there was an increase in the intake of fruits among the same group.
- Most of the young people do not consume the required amount of water for their body.
- Most of the youngsters gain their calories from unhealthy foods such as pizza, soda, cold drinks, desserts, ice cream, etc.
These facts will help you to choose the right kind of food required for your health. Choosing the proper diet and going for healthy eating can prevent your child’s body from numerous diseases or lack of deficiencies. Children’s eating habit affects them both mentally and physically.